Tuesday, November 15th 2016
Beer Recipe : Amarillo India Pale Ale
Adapted from Amarillo Pale Ale - Gold Metal American Ale
- Target OG 1.054 (75% eff, 5.5 gallon)
- Target FG 1.012 (75% att)
- Target ABV 5.51%
Ingredients (5 gallon)
- 4 gallons strike water, plus 4 gallons for sparging
- 4.25 lb Pilsner Malt
- 3.5 lb 6-Row Pale Malt
- 0.5 Vienna Malt
- 0.5 Bonlander or Munich Malt
- 0.5 Victory or Biscuit Malt
- 0.5 Wheat Malt
- 5 oz Amarillo (~9.6 Alpha Acids)
- 1 packet Safale US-05
- 5 oz sucrose (table sugar)
Mash for 60 minutes. Keep mash as close to 153 °F as possible, keeping the grains between 149 °F and 155 °F.
Boil for 60 minutes, skimming early and often to prevent boil-over..
- 1 oz Amarillo (1st wort - add to first runnings)
- 2 oz Amarillo (60 min)
- 1 Whirlfloc tab (10 min)
- 1 oz Amarillo (0 min - flameout)
- 1 oz Amarillo (dry hop)
Leave in a near-room-temperature location (65 °F to 70 °F).
- Primary fermentation for 7 days
- Secondary fermentation for 4 days
- Dry-hop remaining 1 oz Amarillo in secondary for 10 days
Combine the priming sugar with 1 cup filtered water, heating and stirring gently to combine. Rack from fermentor into cooled (70 °F) mixture.
Using the Northern Brewer Priming Sugar Calculator; estimated with 4.5 gallons of beer with a pre-cold-crash temperature of 68 °F we get 2.8vols with 121g (4.28oz) of table sugar.
Bottle condition three (3) weeks near room temperature (68 °F to 70 °F). After three (3) weeks, store cooler if possible. Refrigerate at least 48 hours before drinking, preferably one or two weeks.
- 2017-DEC-31: Ambient temperature 50F. Calculated strike temperature to 165F and HLT water to 173F; 175F into mash tun; 165F after 10 minutes (lid on); 151F five (5) minutes after mash-in; pH 5.2; measured 149.5F after 60 minutes. Multiplied Amarillo hops amounts by 1.5 to account for age and slightly lower AA than recipe. Placed 75.5F wort into stainless bucket with US-05.
- 2018-JAN-15: Racked to secondary, dry-hopped remaining 1oz Amarillo and 1oz Citra; moved from man-cave (52F) to office closet (60F).
- 2018-JAN-28: 4.5 gallon in fermentor; bottled 4 gallons @63.6F with 104g (3.86oz) of Zulka Morena in 3/4 cup water, target 2.8 vols.
- 2018-FEB-13: Bottled with 115g Zulka Morena sugar