Sunday, January 7th 2018
Recipe : Mulligatawny Soup
- Lifted from Allrecipes.com
- Yield: 12 servings
- Active Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 2 hours
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrot, diced
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 apple, cored and chopped
- 1/2 cup white rice
- 1.5 pound cooked chicken - cut into cubes
- 1 cup heavy cream, heated
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- Sauté onions, celery, carrot, and butter in a large soup pot.
- Add flour and curry, and cook 5 more minutes.
- Add chicken stock, mix well, and bring to a boil. Simmer. 30 minutes.
- Add apple, rice, salt, pepper, and thyme. Simmer 15 minutes.
- Add chicken and simmer until rice is done.
- Add hot cream and serve.
- Served with fresh multigrain bread. Girls enjoyed, each ate at least one cup. Used homemade chicken stock containing 1 tsp salt/quart. Used 1 tsp ground black pepper; just a hint of heat.
- Look at chicken-less versions - maybe chickpeas, and/or substitute rice with lentils and quinoa